Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

OUBAAS - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* OUBAAS > Topics

Subject: Glossolalia
Replies: 476 Views: 5594
6-<< 2-<

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:33pm
Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:14 - For if I pray in an unknown tongue - If my prayers are composed of sentences and sayings taken out of the prophets, etc., and in their own language - my spirit prayeth, my heart is engaged in the work, and my prayers answer all the purpose of prayers to myself; but my understanding is unfruitful to all others, because they do not understand my prayers, and I either do not or cannot interpret them. *

See the note on 1Corinthians 14:19. *

John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:14 - For if I pray in an unknown tongue,. . .In the Hebrew tongue, which the greatest part of the Jewish doctors insisted (a) upon should be only used in prayer; which notion might be borrowed from them, and now greatly prevailed in the church at Corinth; and the custom was used by such as had the gift of speaking that language, even though the body and bulk of the people understood it not: *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:34pm
my spirit prayeth; I pray with my breath vocally; or else with affection and devotion, understanding what I say myself, and so am edified; or rather with the gift of the Spirit bestowed on me: *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:34pm
but my understanding is unfruitful; that is, what I say with understanding to myself is unprofitable to others, not being understood by them. (a) Vid. Trigland. de Sect. Kar. c. 10. p. 172, 173. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:35pm
Paul spoke more foreign languages than them all

1 Corinthians 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than you all: *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:35pm
Paul stating this, in this chapter and in this context, just further verifies that these were all known foreign languages. This is what speaking in tongues is all about. The gifts of the Spirit are to benefit all and not for personal use. Nowhere in the Bible is it introduced as anything but. All of 1 Corinthians 14 is a rebuke for the misuse of the gift of speaking in tongues. In 1 Corinthians 3, Paul refers to them as carnal baby Christians. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:36pm
Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:18 - I thank my God - Paul here shows that he did not undervalue or despise the power of speaking foreign languages. It was with him a subject of thanksgiving that he could speak so many; but he felt that there were more valuable endowments than this; see the next verse. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:36pm
With tongues more than ye all - I am able to speak more foreign languages than all of you. How many languages Paul could speak, he has no where told us. It is reasonable, however, to presume that he was able to speak the language of any people to whom God in his providence, and by his Spirit, called him to preach. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:37pm
He had been commissioned to preach to the Gentiles, and it is probable that he was able to speak the languages of all the nations among whom he ever traveled. There is no account of his being under a necessity of employing an interpreter wherever he preached. *

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:18 - I speak with tongues more than ye all - He understood more languages than any of them did: and this was indispensably necessary, as he was the apostle of the Gentiles in general, and had to preach to different provinces where different dialects, if not languages, were used. *

In the Hebrew, Syriac, Greek, and Latin, he was undoubtedly well skilled from his education; and how many he might understand by miraculous gift we cannot tell. But, even literally understood, it is very probable that he knew more languages than any man in the Church of Corinth. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:38pm
John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:18 - I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than you all. This the apostle says, to observe to them that he did not despise speaking with tongues: nor did he endeavour to beat them off, and dissuade them from desiring them, or envied their having them, because he was destitute of them himself; for he had this gift in a very eminent manner, and oftentimes made use of it, and was frequently under a necessity of so doing; *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:38pm
he could speak with more tongues than any of those that had them, and spoke them oftener than they did; having occasion for them through his travelling into different countries, and preaching the Gospel to people of divers languages; and this he mentions also not in a boasting manner, but in great humility, giving thanks to God, and acknowledging him to be the author of this gift. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:39pm
An unbeliever would say a Church speaking in different foreign languages was mad

1 Corinthians 14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that you are mad? *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:40pm
Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:23 - Be come together into one place - For public worship. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:40pm
And all speak with tongues - All speak with a variety of unknown tongues; all speak foreign languages. The idea is, that the church would usually speak the same language with the people among whom they dwelt; and if they made use of foreign languages which were unintelligible to their visitors, it would leave the impression that the church was a bedlam. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:41pm
And there come in - those that are unlearned. Those that are unacquainted with foreign languages, and to whom, therefore, what was said would be unintelligible. *

Or unbelievers - Heathen, or Jews, who did not believe in Christ. It is evident from this that such persons often attended on the worship of Christians. Curiosity might have led them to it; or the fact that they had relatives among Christians might have caused it. *

That ye are mad - They will not understand what is said; it will be a confused jargon; and they will infer that it is the effect of insanity. Even though it might not, therefore, be in itself improper, yet a regard to the honor of Christianity should have led them to abstain from the use of such languages in their worship when it was needless. The apostles were charged, from a similar cause, with being intoxicated; see Acts 2:13. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:42pm
Paul warns again, if no one interprets or no one understands the language, keep silent *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:42pm
1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:43pm
Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible: 1 Corinthians 14:28 - But if there be no interpreter - If there be none present who can give the proper sense of this Hebrew reading and speaking, then let him keep silence, and not occupy the time of the Church, by speaking in a language which only himself can understand. *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:43pm
Source: http://www.speaking-in-tongues.net/unknown-tongue.html *

oubaas 29.04.10 - 05:44pm
Also posted at: http://oppie-koffie.co.uk OPPIE KOFFIE *

oubaas 23.04.12 - 03:27pm
Ook gepos by http://oppie-koffie.co.uk/ Oppie Koffie

Terug na facebook / Back to facebook: http://m.facebook.com/groups/57350209896?refid=0&m_sess=1hGzi8-oQDws_Fa *

6-<< 2-<

* OUBAAS Forum

Search:
topics replies

* OUBAAS

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Custom Search